28 May 2009

Niagra Falls

As you all know we just celebrated our first anniversary. As part of our celebration we visited Niagara Falls, Church sites in Palmyra, and Jeff and Erin and their kiddos in Syracuse, NY. This post is just Niagara so keep watching for the others.


We spent one night with the Falls. I have to say they weren't as big as I had imagined but still beautiful. I also didn't realize that there are actually two waterfalls- American and Horseshoe. This picture is the American Falls.


We stayed on the Canadian side and it's true that the view is much better from there. We enjoyed our few hours out of the country and were relieved when they let us back in. You wouldn't believe the questioning we went through by a very serious border guard. By the end of it they had us convinced we were terrorists.This is a view of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls with the hotels of Niagara, Ontario. We spent a few hours walking/driving around this area. Lots of Asian tourists (with their swine flu masks) and Bed and Breakfasts. Taylor striking his signature pose.

This is just before we got on the Maid of the Mist- a boat ride into the swirling mists of the Horseshoe falls. It was a great up close view of the falls except you couldn't see anything because of the mist. Taylor and I both thought we were going to die. I kept thinking to myself 'this is what it must be like to be flushed down a toilet' and Taylor kept asking me if I could swim well enough to survive. Many of you probably don't know that I am not the biggest fan of water so my anxiety level was high. Fortunately the boat's engines overcame the undertow of the falls and we made it back to shore.

If you look close you can see tourists up close to the falls. I believe you can even walk behind the falls. Having already been drenched by the Maid of the Mist, we passed on this experience.
Another boat of unsuspecting tourists entering the mist.

A view of the Horseshoe falls from above. They really are beautiful.

Our first dinner on our honeymoon was at the Hard Rock Cafe so why not on our anniversary too.


Taylor and I both decided that you can live a good life without seeing Niagara but that if you do get the chance it's worth a stop. Up next our visit to Palmyra.....

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

You guys look adorable, as usual.

And don't hate me, but I had to vote for Taylor's picture. Can't wait for him to rub it in your face.

Mishelle Noyes said...

This looks so fun! I am sooo jealous! I love the blue rain coat and Taylor "striking a pose" pic! Has he looked into male modeling? J/k glad you had fun! And Congrats on your anniversary!